La Gata Encantada

La Gata Encantada is the name of a pub in a novel by John Varley. It means 'the enchanted cat'. I like cats, so I stole the sign (it just needed some revarnishing and - Look! Good as new!). The door is open, to an amber glow and the sound of music and good fellowship. Come on in.

Name:

Pure as a virgin and cunning as a rabbit!

Tuesday, December 20, 2005

Hey Ho, Nobody Home

My ability to read the weather is shocking.

Having left my jacket behind this morning (because it was very sunny), I managed to get thoroughly soaked around half ten. I mean, soaked. In five minutes. There was heavy thunder in the distance, brooding clouds overhead, and rising winds. After a certain amount of rush so that I could finish my row and then cower somewhere, I gave it up and hid in another thinner's car.

Then the rain thinned out a good deal, so I went back to thinning, while soaked, and got through the last few tops, even helping another kid on his row. Yay me!

Then we headed to another orchard. Still being soaked, and in addition nursing a touch of a sore throat (not enough to stay away from work, normally), I expressed a desire to go home. The person giving me a ride said that he had things to sort out elsewhere, and would be back soon. I gritted my teeth, and made a start on the new row, because cold and soggy is worse when you aren't moving and I might as well do something useful with my time.

Then it turned very sunny, and I spread some of my damp clothing out and took an early lunch break in the warmth, thinking, This ain't so bad, eh?

Then it started to rain again.

I went home.

I'm writing this in my pyjamas, after a nice hot bath. It's very sunny out there...

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

And they said that there may a drought in Hawkes Bay this summer…

Thanks to global warming and the highest carbon dioxide levels in six-hundred thousand years that assumption was wrong… For now anyway.

Mike

10:27 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home