La Gata Encantada

La Gata Encantada is the name of a pub in a novel by John Varley. It means 'the enchanted cat'. I like cats, so I stole the sign (it just needed some revarnishing and - Look! Good as new!). The door is open, to an amber glow and the sound of music and good fellowship. Come on in.

Name:

Pure as a virgin and cunning as a rabbit!

Saturday, December 03, 2005

Grace Notes

Well, if you've been apple thinning, you know what it's like. If you haven't, it's reasonably hard work, but not so hard as picking. What you're doing is hoping for a happy medium between stinking hot-and-sunny and cold-and-wet. Oh, and climbing ladders, and nipping baby apples off the tree and that.

But here are the nice bits:

The tiny little flowers I could see in the greenery underfoot in my last row: blue-and-white, and red, and yellow.

Hearing the birds sing.

Standing at the very top of the ladder and feeling a cool breeze.

Seeing the foreman walk past with the orchard-owner and hearing him say: "That's Cathy. She's one of the good workers..."

Lunchtime and cracking the thermos for a hot drink. ('Cause I likes my hot drinks!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home