La Gata Encantada

La Gata Encantada is the name of a pub in a novel by John Varley. It means 'the enchanted cat'. I like cats, so I stole the sign (it just needed some revarnishing and - Look! Good as new!). The door is open, to an amber glow and the sound of music and good fellowship. Come on in.

Name:

Pure as a virgin and cunning as a rabbit!

Thursday, December 15, 2005

Zen and the Art of Holding One's Bladder

It's a serious issue. On a given orchard, there is generally one approved place of expellation and hygiene, and that place is often very far away from your current place of work (and possibly a long-drop :-() Walking out to it takes time when you could be working (and earning)or resting.

Often, I don't want to take that time.

However, I have engaged in a course of toughening myself up, and am now perfectly capable of measuring my drinks, drinking only hot fluids before lunchtime, and storing the excess in the aforementioned bladder, with only a little discomfort at the end of the day, though I will take a short walk to the approved place of expellation and hygiene if I happen to be close by at my lunch break.

All that said, I was asked to create a poem about apple-thinning today, so I did:

The orchard is hot -
A good place for a sinner.
Though the apples grow round
I only grow thinner


Speaking of zen, the sheer incongruity of singing "Wouldn't It Be Luverly" (from My Fair Lady) with lines like "Warm face, warm 'ands, warm feet" while engaging in my current occupation should have triggered a zen moment of enlightenment if nothing else would.

I am clearly not philosophical material!

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This is my favourite zen story.

Hmm, or maybe these ones.

6:25 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home