La Gata Encantada

La Gata Encantada is the name of a pub in a novel by John Varley. It means 'the enchanted cat'. I like cats, so I stole the sign (it just needed some revarnishing and - Look! Good as new!). The door is open, to an amber glow and the sound of music and good fellowship. Come on in.

Name:

Pure as a virgin and cunning as a rabbit!

Monday, October 17, 2005

My Bid for Waterhouse




Right. Here are two piccies with the proper underdress. I'm afraid I look a little wild-eyed in the second. (The foot in the foreground is a little unfortunate, too).

But back to the dresses: Both inner and outer need some hemming. I'm trying to decide on almost-ankle-length or mid-calf. Thoughts?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Not knowing much about fashion, all of the Florentine dresses that I have seen images of for the early periods up to 1700’s have had skirts that are ankle length or longer than ankle length. It is not until the late 1800’s and early 1900’s that have pictures or descriptions of mid-calf fashions. Even in the early 1900’s ankle length was common in evening gowns, and mid-calf in skirts.

The skirt looks very period, nice and fluffy. Any plans to add rows of guards to the hem, and the bodice? From what I have seen of Florentine dresses, a majority had single or double rows of guards.

Umm, it would be interesting to see you tumble in the dress.

Mike

11:17 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Looks tre Kul. I love the gauzy sleeves and as starfire said, excellent colour

12:11 am  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Nice. Very very nice. Amazing, even.
My vote is for ankle length.

Love

Steph

9:11 am  
Blogger theamazingcatherine said...

I don't know what you mean by "rows of guards."

No way it's going to be longer than ankle-length. Apart from the fact that the cloth has already been cut, even down to the ankles there is an issue with running. Also, I'd like to show off my pretty calves. I'll think about it, anyway. Thanks a lot for your input.

11:12 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is most likely some other terminology that I am unaware of. Rows of guards, I believe are contrasting bands/strips across the top of the bodice, one thin, the thick, etc.

There are pictures of Florentine dresses with rows of guards stitched into the hem of the skirt and under skirt. I have also seen a single row guard stitched just below the bodice as a visual belt. Kind of a nice touch…

I doubt there was much call for women in the 1500’s to run and tumble, perhaps mid calf would suit that purpose. But pretty calves aside, it seems a shame to shorten the skirt as it’s a wonderful period piece.

Mike

2:38 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home