La Gata Encantada

La Gata Encantada is the name of a pub in a novel by John Varley. It means 'the enchanted cat'. I like cats, so I stole the sign (it just needed some revarnishing and - Look! Good as new!). The door is open, to an amber glow and the sound of music and good fellowship. Come on in.

Name:

Pure as a virgin and cunning as a rabbit!

Friday, October 07, 2005

Why I Don't Like Synthetic Organza

It melts.

This means that you don't dare get the iron too hot. Of course, it doesn't take a crease worth a d__m either.

It's also transparent (well, my organza is, anyway). This means that I have to have good-looking, neat seams. If the fabric (and thus, the seams) is not visible, why the h__l do we bother buying transparent fabric, eh?

Well, there's a really nifty kind of seaming could flat-felling. It gives a strong seam, beautiful from both sides. The trouble is, you need to be able to iron a crease - twice. It's also quite fiddly. I actually got quite good results for the first seam, matching two selvedges together (and I think the extra toughness of the edge helped), but trying it on a cut diagonal nearly drove me insane. Even basting the ruddy stuff left me with a kluged together ugly piece of sh_t. I suspect I shall be covering it with ribbon.

So I threw it all in and, for the other seams, did French-seaming instead.

6 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I'm sorry for talking you into buying it. :-(
But it's so lovely to look at!

Steph

10:49 am  
Blogger theamazingcatherine said...

This is true. What's one bodged up seam between friends, anyway?

6:19 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An old army trick is to use thick brown paper, like the old shopping bags, and use that folded around the cloth, so direct heat is not applied when ironing. That and using a garden water spray bottle to dampen the cloth first...

But I am not to sure how your cloth handles moisture though...


Mike

6:51 pm  
Blogger theamazingcatherine said...

Is that brown paper just laid on top or is it creased in some fashion?

I've experimented with pressing cloths and steam, but mostly they seem to get in the way - I've got very narrow allowances to work with, and if I can't see them they go spoggly on me.

7:20 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In that case it will not work...

But what you can do is use a "mock flat feld" seem when sewing cheer fabrics.

Once you have a French seem simply fold it over until it is flat, and sew it down. This will give a fully reversible seem.

It is normally used in industrial sewing of cheer fabrics, and does not require pressing.

12:21 pm  
Blogger theamazingcatherine said...

Yup, that was my ultimate solution.

There was still a bit of pressing involved to get the edges clean, but it was a lot more straightforward.

12:58 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home