La Gata Encantada

La Gata Encantada is the name of a pub in a novel by John Varley. It means 'the enchanted cat'. I like cats, so I stole the sign (it just needed some revarnishing and - Look! Good as new!). The door is open, to an amber glow and the sound of music and good fellowship. Come on in.

Name:

Pure as a virgin and cunning as a rabbit!

Tuesday, February 28, 2006

Academic Grumbles

So I spent the afternoon in my grown-up clothes walking around two campuses (campi?) trying to find people, all of whom have offices at the very top of tall buildings. I'm staunch, and took the stairs, sigh.

Unfortunately, most of them were not there. This includes the lecturer of the poetry course I'm taking (not essential), the lecturer of a language course that I might be taking (really need to talk to him before I make the decision, and I'm running out of time), and the course coordinator of another set of courses who was physically present but still... not there.

She did not offer me a seat. I stood the whole time we discussed matters that were, at least important to me, and would increase the size of her kingdom, theoretically. The only time she approached smiling was when she told me it was now too late to take the first semester course required to finish the Certificate. It wasn't too late two weeks ago when I e-mailed a query. It wasn't even too late one week ago when I phoned a message on her answering machine because I'd gotten no reply. She claims she never got that e-mail. The phone call was logged, but, well, she was just too busy...

Bitch.

So there is somebody else that I need to find to talk to, and maybe I'll wangle my way in after all. But we'll see. I'm feeling very unenthusiastic about it at the moment.

**

Apart from that, I had a job interview with the Marketing Department, who wanted two hours of a Writing Consultant per week to clean up their students' grammar. They are utter sweeties. It seriously cheered up my day.

And now I'm sitting at home getting over the shakes caused from trying to determine my future. Man, I want icecream.

That's all.

1 Comments:

Blogger theamazingcatherine said...

So I tracked down the lady who runs some of the *papers* in the course I wanted to do (who was in the same building, and nearly the same floor, as the Bitchy Course Coordinator) and she was warm and wonderful and gave good advice.

So not all academic staff are horrid. Most of them are lovely.

2:31 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home