La Gata Encantada

La Gata Encantada is the name of a pub in a novel by John Varley. It means 'the enchanted cat'. I like cats, so I stole the sign (it just needed some revarnishing and - Look! Good as new!). The door is open, to an amber glow and the sound of music and good fellowship. Come on in.

Name:

Pure as a virgin and cunning as a rabbit!

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

Upper-Body Workout: Check.

I didn't go stumping today. Today I was up on a thinning ladder getting up-close-and-personal with some large yet bashful pine trees. There I was, stripping away all their pretensions and veils with each branch I lopped off. I was using a tree saw, which has a plastic handle with a crook at the end, sorta like a pistol grip only distorted, and a blade shaped like a sickle - not curved as much as a crescent moon, but heading in that direction.

I'm lopping branches so that, soon, my employers can chop the poor things down at the root without worrying about spiky bits impaling the local vampires as they fall... Though if a tree that size fell on me, I wouldn't be worrying about the vamps. I almost wanted to take my first big branch home as a trophy - it was so long and thick, and it fell with such a satisfying crack! creak... SWISH. I did seperate it out of the pile and showed it off proudly. Enough wood to terrify a hundred effete vampires, heh. (I don't know where all the sleazy innuendo is coming from tonight. I'll try to stop now.)

Anyway, it's fairly physical work - the ladder-climbing is no big deal, but my hands and arms have been working all day. Since I started at 8 to outwit the heat (it's been ghastly lately) and because the day was wonderful for working outside (overcast, with a nice light breeze) and because good working weather is good working weather that meant that I did not knock off until 6, ten hours later. (Excuse me while I tumble slowly to the ground with a quiet sigh.)

I slopped into a hot bath as soon as I got home with a glass of milk, a chocolate bar, a large packet of salt and vinegar chippies, and a cup of coffee: my comfort foods of choice.

There was sap in my hair. I tried soaking it out in the water - there is something very luxurious in ducking your head under and seeing your hair drift around like waterweed... I don't normally do that, because as soon as I get out it goes back to tangled and soggy, but it was nice. I'll try combing the lot when it finally dries, and see (feel? some kind of kinesthesia, maybe?) if I managed to get the pine sap out. Some experiments are worth trying!

And now I'm going to collapse in a heap again...

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

I don't know where all the sleazy innuendo is coming from tonight. I'll try to stop now.
See, if you hadn't said that, most people wouldn't have noticed that there was anything sleazy in the previous sentence at all.

5:52 pm  
Blogger theamazingcatherine said...

But I was so stiff! My poor old bones! I needed to get some entertainment somewhere, dagnabbit, anyway I could.

7:07 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home