La Gata Encantada

La Gata Encantada is the name of a pub in a novel by John Varley. It means 'the enchanted cat'. I like cats, so I stole the sign (it just needed some revarnishing and - Look! Good as new!). The door is open, to an amber glow and the sound of music and good fellowship. Come on in.

Name:

Pure as a virgin and cunning as a rabbit!

Sunday, November 13, 2005

Weekend At Steph's or: Who Makes Ironing Board Covers That Melt?

Actually, it wasn't a weekend: I bussed up from Palmerston Thursday afternoon so I could listen to my little bro sing in a concert. Gosh - solos. The skill-level of all the performers was very impressive, especially this girl that did my favourite song from Marriage of Figaro - very beautiful.

Mostly I just bummed around Steph's place while she worked at job. I've been doing a lot of sewing: I made Stephanie One-Cut Pants, which are very baggy but a lot of fun, and got the hang of French-seaming seams when there's a three-way join. Basically, you do the first line of stitching for each seam, and only then do the finishing line when everything is complete. This may seem very obvious to some people, but I'd been having trouble working it out. What the hey - that's me.

Also, I scored a pattern for a rectangular shirt that does very interesting things with gussets and pleats that I wanted to try out. The gussets have, so far, been a lot easier than I thought they would be, but pleating all that extra material into the collar is abominable. I just had to say. I'll quit talking about sewing now. For the laymen the talk must be a tad technical.

Anyway, I went to see Serenity with Ned, Steph, and some other people. I enjoyed the movie; it was good.

I am currently annoying Babe the Cat by occupying her favourite couch. There are several other open spaces in this room where she could curl up, but somehow she just can't get herself to settle. Oh, what a terrible shame!

That's all.

Oh yes, and I bought Steph's landlord a new ironing board cover, in a particularly gaudy yellow, blue, and green combination of cotton (hopefully it is non-meltable).

3 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Well, actually I now have a witness to Cat's existence. We ran into Michael Foster in the aftermath of Serenity - go grill him. ;-)

11:08 pm  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Actually, Babe isn't _entirely_ avoiding Catherine right now. They're sharing a couch and everything. OK, yes, I'm acting as a buffer state, but at least they're on the same piece of furniture. I like to think that it's a good sign.

(Actually, it's a bit weird. Time was Babe thought Catherine was a really good place to park for the day. I think it's possible she's getting senile and doesn't remember Cat so well. Eh well.)

11:16 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She tolerates me. That is all.

The cat has beautiful manners. No growling, no scratching - even when she's having nasty tasting medicine dropped down her gullet or someone is _determined_ to pick her up for a cuddle. She's like an elegant old lady with beautiful, graceful manners who yet contrives to indicate to you that you are a piece of chewing gum on her shoe. And everybody else thinks she's nice.

Pah!

11:19 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home