La Gata Encantada

La Gata Encantada is the name of a pub in a novel by John Varley. It means 'the enchanted cat'. I like cats, so I stole the sign (it just needed some revarnishing and - Look! Good as new!). The door is open, to an amber glow and the sound of music and good fellowship. Come on in.

Name:

Pure as a virgin and cunning as a rabbit!

Monday, September 26, 2005

I Have Achieved II

This time it is just that I finished a ruddy big Phonetics assignment - a 20 percenter. The lecturer said, in his advice on it: "You can discuss third formants - hint hint." Unfortunately, there's an awful lot on third formants, scattered through several books on the topic, in differing nomenclature, all of which I had to digest into a useful and manageable form. No, I am not going to tell you what a third formant is. Take it from me that it is useful when reading a spectrogram. A spectrogram is like a picture of a sound, mapping all the frequencies against time. No, I am not going into more detail. You don't want me to, trust me.

Anyway, I wrestled that baby behemoth to the ground, whimpering (me, not the behemoth), last night, attempted to get an early night's sleep (which failed because I kept dreaming there was one more assignment question to answer, and dreaming that I drafted and re-drafted my answer [sigh]) and woke up this morning to juggle printing it against work. There were problems with transferring files from disks. It was unpleasant. Finally, I skated in to the assignment collection box where I must have caused some innocent merriment for the lecturers around the corner when I shouted "God damn it!" upon realising that I had to erase some pencil marks on the spectrogram I'd been working on and put some neater ones in. And I didn't have an eraser with me. And it was ten minutes walk back to my office. And I didn't have time. (I borrowed one from one of the lecturers, a very nice lady called Rei something).

Of course, then I had to work on something else that's due tomorrow (as opposed to last Friday), which I have just now completed.

That is why I have labelled this Blog "I Have Achieved."

Dear Readers, I believe that I have earned myself some sewing time.

4 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Er. There, there?

8:18 pm  
Blogger theamazingcatherine said...

"all of which I had to digest into a useful and manageable form"

I wish I hadn't used that precise verb (digest) now. Continuing the metaphor gives a rather unpleasant image.

6:10 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You open your brackets and forgot to close them. It isn't like you to do such a thing!

They open at the bit bit "...(which failed..."

3:39 pm  
Blogger theamazingcatherine said...

I did not! The curve bracket ends at "...[sigh])"

Take it back!

10:01 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home