La Gata Encantada

La Gata Encantada is the name of a pub in a novel by John Varley. It means 'the enchanted cat'. I like cats, so I stole the sign (it just needed some revarnishing and - Look! Good as new!). The door is open, to an amber glow and the sound of music and good fellowship. Come on in.

Name:

Pure as a virgin and cunning as a rabbit!

Monday, May 15, 2006

Am I, at Present, Dreaming of Birthdays?

Or will I, on my birthday, be dreaming of presents? What with the whole Buddhist-education-disguised-as-an-adventure-story thing, I thought I'd better keep my end up with a brain twister.

Last week, my flatmates disappeared and came back with a wrapped box, not bigger or smaller than but exactly the same size as a bread box and left it, in view, for me to wonder about. Grrrr.

Fortunately, I'm an old hand at working out presents by fondling them through the paper (ah, Christmas) and, then, Michael crumbled under stern questioning.

They're giving me a pony.

It has ribbons in its mane, and jewel-coloured hooves. Doesn't have a name yet. I enquired a few days ago as to whether it might be getting a bit hungry in the box, but Michael informed me gravely that it was a Vampire Pony, and every night, after we go to sleep, it leaves the box and flits around the house gaining appropriate sustenance.

I can't wait for my birthday.

6 Comments:

Blogger Edward Sargisson said...

Happy Birthday, sis.
Hope you like the present - and I hope it turns up today.

Cheers,
Edward

8:21 am  
Blogger theamazingcatherine said...

Hang on - I'll check the mailbox.

11:39 am  
Blogger theamazingcatherine said...

Not yet - I shall check it this afternoon. S'okay if it's a tad overdue: I like birthdays with a long burn. You in for a birthday dinner on Saturday? (Probably at Steph's.)

So.

The Vampire Pony has been introduced. Her name is Melisande; she is currently masquerading as a very large padded sewing box, with oodles of space inside and fans printed on the cover. She is very beautiful in both this guise and her true form (inky black; diamonds and gold braided in her mane to chime musically; in silver she is shod before, and burning gold behind; red nostrils; delicate ivory fangs; large, translucent eyes).

In other news, three books from Mum, John T, and Alexandra: The Medieval Tailor's Assistant (Sarah Thursfield); Patterns of Fashion: The cut and construction of clothes for men and women c1560-1620 (Janet Arnold); and Arthur Spiderwick's Field Guide to the Fantastical World Around You (reconstructed by Tony DiTerlizzi and Holly Black - Flatmate: "[gasp] Tony DiTerlizzi!")

Stephanie claims that she will give me socks, when I see her on Saturday. I hope that they are stripy.

11:54 am  
Blogger Edward Sargisson said...

I'm currently otherwise engaged on Saturday night but I have every confidence that we shall meet on the weekend.

8:39 am  
Blogger theamazingcatherine said...

Some very beautiful buttons arrived this morning.

Thank you.

12:20 pm  
Blogger Edward Sargisson said...

Glad you liked them. I tried to pick some pretty ones that had sufficient quantities that you could actually make something.

Love,
Edward

9:05 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home