La Gata Encantada

La Gata Encantada is the name of a pub in a novel by John Varley. It means 'the enchanted cat'. I like cats, so I stole the sign (it just needed some revarnishing and - Look! Good as new!). The door is open, to an amber glow and the sound of music and good fellowship. Come on in.

Name:

Pure as a virgin and cunning as a rabbit!

Thursday, March 16, 2006

Extravagantly Baggy Pirate Pants

So I'd acquired some solid, hard-wearing, stripy cotton for a reasonable sum. I thought I'd make myself some Pirate Pants. Can you honestly say that you have never had this desire? I used a pattern from The Renaissance Tailor (a seriously nice website) for One-Cut Pants.




As this particular pattern uses artful folding and one big slice to make trousers out of the whole two metres (or 2 x 1.5 = 3m2), when the pieces were all connected but the outer seams not sewn up, it covered an entire bedroom floor:

One problem I had was cutting the ankles a bit wide. As I didn't want to resew the outer seams to taper the ankles, or gather them in like the waistband, I ended up doing a series of pleats, which I think looks interesting. Even so, I might have to sew a couple more - the ankles are still a bit wide:


Finally, BEHOLD MY GENIUS!!!

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

All hail the feline genius that is cats... no, sorry, all hail the creative genius that is Cat's!

Seriously - tres cool. I like them muchly.

Hugs

T

10:11 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooooh they're so PIRATEY!!

Now those are the pants of a pirate captain you'd be afraid of mutinying against!

[Er. What's the correct England for 'mutinying'?]

Ahem. I think they're great.

10:39 pm  
Blogger Stephanie said...

They are a truly fine pair of pirate pants. Have you tried fitting your flatmates in them? At the same time?

'mutinying' - well, it is standard to make a present participle by taking an 'ing' on the end. I think any changes in spelling for the stem will only happen if it gets used a lot and people start making mistakes in creative ways. So you're probably correct. At least for now.

11:59 pm  
Blogger theamazingcatherine said...

The present participle seems correct to me, but more appropriate might be: "to mutiny against"

Hmm. Would an acceptable form of "commit treason" be "to trease"?

1:58 am  
Blogger Stephanie said...

My Lit History teachers would love you. Do you still have the text of that poem explaining kennings? One of them gave us a brief lecture on Old English poetry and then spoke very movingly about how cool kennings were and how we should all use them in our own writing. I think that she'd like it.

3:01 pm  
Blogger theamazingcatherine said...

That would be:

"Grendel's Dog, from Beocat">

http://bertc.com/beocat.htm

It's been around a while, though, so she may well have encountered it before.

"I totally treased that guy!"

8:42 pm  
Blogger Stephanie said...

No, there was one that you wrote about people who wrote in iambic pentameter being limp wristed nancy boys.

12:26 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home