La Gata Encantada

La Gata Encantada is the name of a pub in a novel by John Varley. It means 'the enchanted cat'. I like cats, so I stole the sign (it just needed some revarnishing and - Look! Good as new!). The door is open, to an amber glow and the sound of music and good fellowship. Come on in.

Name:

Pure as a virgin and cunning as a rabbit!

Wednesday, March 29, 2006

What A Horrible Idea, And Yet...

Baked Brains

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F
Prepare by soaking, skinning and blanching:
___ 1 set brains
Chop coarsely and combine them with:
___ 1/2 cup bread crumbs
___ 2 chopped hard-cooked eggs
___ 6 tablespoons cream
___ 1 tablespoon catsup
___ 2 peeled chopped green chilis
___ 1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
___ Season to taste
Place in a greased baking dish or in individual dishes. Sprinkle the top with:
___ Au Gratin II
Bake about 15 minutes.

(from Rombauer, I. S. & Becker, M. R. (1975). The joy of cooking. (Late ed.) New York: The Bobs-Merrill Company)

So the plan is - invite everybody to a theme Zombie/Undead party. Make sure they come in costume and pay attention to detail. When they compliment me on my delicious food... tell them.

Horrid, I know.

Funny?

How would I avoid eating my own cooking, though...?

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But what does it look like? I mean, if it looks like brains covered with breadcrumbs, you might not get too many takers :-/

(hmm, anyone remember the brain-cooking scene from _Eight Skilled Gentlemen_?)

10:23 am  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I once read an Alison Holst recipe for brain patties. She said that her kids were entirely unaware of the composition until one of them (now grown up) asked for the recipe for those wonderful lamb patties that they used to have so often.

7:39 pm  
Blogger theamazingcatherine said...

The bit where the chefs were speculating on how to serve their host the main dish - the buttocks of his boyfriend - was particularly memorable.

Well they had to get rid of the body somewhere.

I don't know what it looks like. I'll have to try it and see. Let me know next time you're in Palmerston and I'll make sure to leave you a plate at dinnertime.

10:54 am  
Blogger Stephanie said...

The bit about the "fried face of boyfriend" was also memorable.

(John, never let her cook you liver. She'll describe the process in _way_ too much detail.)

12:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've never been quite sure about eating liver, considering the role it plays in the body :-/

1:56 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Apparently, eating brains is not very good for you.. :-/

12:19 am  
Blogger theamazingcatherine said...

"The first problem is that the brain is made up of 60% fat due to the myelin (which itself is 70% fat) insulating the axons of neurons and glia."

Ah - I can now call people "fat-head" with the specious impunity of truth!

9:50 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home