La Gata Encantada

La Gata Encantada is the name of a pub in a novel by John Varley. It means 'the enchanted cat'. I like cats, so I stole the sign (it just needed some revarnishing and - Look! Good as new!). The door is open, to an amber glow and the sound of music and good fellowship. Come on in.

Name:

Pure as a virgin and cunning as a rabbit!

Friday, September 16, 2005

Revision

Hmm. Opening up the form some gives:

How Can I Mourn?

How can I mourn when all the world is spring?
Understand - waking in the night I heard a bird
calling others out of shadow. They flung
their songs like children's balls
as light flooded the barren sky.

Can I weep, when the weeping of the world is a haze
of dew on severed grass? That grass still grows, dotted with daisies;
their knotted heads still open every morning.

When winter's aching gut unclenches,
when it sleeps with the sun-bellied cats or springs,
shaking its ears, away from sudden showers,
shall I clutch my own ache like a lover?
When blossoms bounce from angry, battered wood,
when new leaves are eyes fresh opening,
are mouths that gobble sunlight,
shall I lower my own? Shall I swallow laughter?

This gaudy riot calls me out. Forgive
me if I leave you, dear,
in that cold, silent dark.

Please.

**

I like this one better, I think. The other version was small and pretty and easy to understand - this fish, is a bit larger. I feel happy now.

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Yep, I like it lots better. It's got the feeling that all the prettiness is cloaking a great big emotion instead of just the prettiness.

The bit about birds throwing songs to each other reminds me of the road I take walking home in the evenings. There's a large greenbelt and the road winds a lot so in the evenings there'll be all these isolated birds (tuis I think) chuckling at each other dotted around the trees from all sides.

Steph

11:59 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

In the movie world it is said that scripts are not written, but re-written again and again until it works, and even in the middle of a movie a script can be re-written.

It seems that this is also true about great poetry.

Mike

11:54 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home