La Gata Encantada

La Gata Encantada is the name of a pub in a novel by John Varley. It means 'the enchanted cat'. I like cats, so I stole the sign (it just needed some revarnishing and - Look! Good as new!). The door is open, to an amber glow and the sound of music and good fellowship. Come on in.

Name:

Pure as a virgin and cunning as a rabbit!

Sunday, September 11, 2005

I Have Achieved

So, I've been sewing all day. I do mean all day - from just before ten in the morning to now, though with a sizeable wodge of time to eat lunch and nap on the lawn in the wonderful sunny weather.

I sewed:

- to put together the outside of the bodice of a dress I'm working on (in plum-coloured, fairly heavy material, with a lovely soft nap, empire-line, calf-length, gathered skirt, petticoats underneath)
- to attach the outside of the bodice to the inside (which is silky black taffeta)
- to connect under the armholes, both in the lining and the outside
- to attach the two front bits together (but the seams didn't need finishing because they were cut on the selvage)
- to attach the front bit(s) to the back bits, which took zigzagging and a line of top-stitching on each side, dammit.
- to attach the back bits together, though not all the way (for there must be room to step inside the dress, sort of thing)
- to do some fiddly bits that aren't in the pattern. Because I wanted them there. And I figured them out, and they worked, and the whole thing looks beautiful.

That's all. :-D :-D :-D

ADDENDUM:

After posting the former, I followed the instructions in the sewing machine manual and mastered a very cool, quick, and efficient way of setting the gathering stitches. It needs Purl cord and an embroidery head, both of which I happen to have, and is NIFTY. (Thank you for your supportive comments ;-) I'll post a picture when it's done and I've worked out how to post images.)

2 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

Cool! :-D

Me, I have now officially finished writing about Fate and Fortune and am about to move on to Free Will. I think I'll go and have something to eat first, though.

Steph

7:42 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grin - glad to hear someone else is having a productive weekend.

And that dress sounds *gorgeous*. Do we get to see a pic of it once it's finished?

Hugs

T

8:04 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home