La Gata Encantada

La Gata Encantada is the name of a pub in a novel by John Varley. It means 'the enchanted cat'. I like cats, so I stole the sign (it just needed some revarnishing and - Look! Good as new!). The door is open, to an amber glow and the sound of music and good fellowship. Come on in.

Name:

Pure as a virgin and cunning as a rabbit!

Wednesday, August 10, 2005

Odling I

I realised that I don't actually like putting my deepest feelings into poetry. My work is strong on rhyme and metre and word-play, on alliteration for its own sweet sake, on throwing a twiddle of nice-sounding words on paper and watching it grow into something beautiful and true. There are reasons why. The world is overfull of young, angsty poets who feel that feeling is first, that if they shout "I feel bad!" loud enough we will feel it with them, of postmodern pissheads who revel in ugly, wandering, discursive dribble.

If you can get your form right then the function hits so much harder. If your poem is nice to say, then people are more likely to memorise it and teach it to their children: it is more likely to be remembered after you are not. I decided several years ago that I needed to master the tools of the trade, as a carpenter learns by making oggle-boxes and bird-houses.

And I realised that I tend to place these tools between the poem and myself. Much of the poetry that I have written lately has been incidental verse. That is to say, I am writing a story and there is a need for a poem, or there is a tiny crack that I can wedge and hammer open until there is space for a little word-singing. In either case, both the form and function of the poem are dictated by the circumstances of the story: someone mentioned a ruined city - throw in a scrap of lament; a hobbit composed a saga about Bandobras Bullroarer - give it a good rhythmic feel and make it a touch over the top; a love poem written by a very selfish person - no problem!

I enjoyed writing all three of those verses very, very much. They have a beauty in their own right. Yet, there is a veil between me and them. The stories themselves, my prose-writing, has a similar quality. I do not like writing torture-scenes. The love or pain of characters is not revealed by speech or drama, but by the graceful gesture, the flick of the eye, the stuttering tongue.

There are reasons for that, too. I enjoy subtlety and riddles in my prose: the conclusion that a reader works for is so much stronger than an easy answer. If I want to induce emotion in my readers, then there are some very cold-blooded and manipulative techniques to use. If I sketch my cartoons well then the reader will paint the minute, colourful details for me, which is a great saving in word-space and makes it more personal to the audience as well. There are good, sound, craft-wise reasons to write that way. But it also has the effect of separating me off from the opaque, elusive worlds I write.

I'm just wondering, why do I have so much trouble writing: "I feel bad"?

(Er, in general, that is. I was having a really interesting and good day when I wrote the above, it's just that part of that day was reflecting on these issues ;-). Now, today, when I post this, is getting to be somewhat gruelling, but never mind. I'll live. Stiff-upper-lip time, ne? Honestly, I don't feel bad - just a little harried.)

4 Comments:

Blogger Stephanie said...

If it helps any, a comment in one of my lectures about pastoral elegies was that the stylised conventions of the form were a way of controlling and containing the devastating emotions that the poet was feeling: "The artificiality of the pastoral convention provides a way of distancing grief." So instead of saying "Oh no, my best friend just died of TB!" you write an elegy of a faun lamenting the death of Adonis or something.

Steph

6:14 pm  
Blogger Mab said...

it is definately very hard to come up with new ways of saying woe is me. Many who think they do don't and those that do spend a lot of time re-working. I should know, of all the stuff I have from those 'the universe hates me period' 90% of it is crap. My writing tutor was nice enough to tell me so and encourage mw to brutally prune those things he thought had the remotest potential.

On a different note, I really like your writing.

Malu

12:31 pm  
Blogger Mab said...

Argh, typos. Engaged typing before brain kicked in.

12:33 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Indeed. To pour emotions into the tale is simply one technique. To cause a spring of that which draws out emotion is another.

Being able to put the two together...

That's half the fun. Keep up the great writing!

Alan

6:29 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home