La Gata Encantada

La Gata Encantada is the name of a pub in a novel by John Varley. It means 'the enchanted cat'. I like cats, so I stole the sign (it just needed some revarnishing and - Look! Good as new!). The door is open, to an amber glow and the sound of music and good fellowship. Come on in.

Name:

Pure as a virgin and cunning as a rabbit!

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

More Healthy Eating

So, I've got a few friends and acquaintances of Chinese extraction, and the other day one gave me some food.

It looked like a bit of something hard, about the size of my hands clasping each other, wrapped with large bamboo leaves tied with string. I don't remember what my friend called it, but she told me that it had been pre-cooked and that I was to boil it for fifteen minutes to soften it again.

I hied me home, and put my saucepan (with water) on to boil, tucked my bamboo-wrapped parcel in it, and let heat and moisture Do Their Thing.

A quarter hour later, I had this wonderful green smell coming up from the pot and green colour coming out into the water, and a few nicks in the bamboo where grains of rice were peeping out.

On dissection, there was a great mass of rice, beans, chewy brown mushrooms (Yes, Steph, mushrooms) and hard-boiled egg yolk. It was slightly gluey, and slightly sweet, with lots of interesting flavours coming out.

Very tasty.

Thank you.

That's all.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm... most interesting indeed. I think I've had it before and don't know the name - if it's what I think it is it is bloody nice.

And on Mushrooms... they are good eating. Especially if well prepared.

*warm fuzzies*

Alan

7:09 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Grin... meant to post this last week, but forgot.

Y'know, with all the discussions of yummy food you have on your blog, it's my stated opinion you should rename it 'La Cucina Enctantada'

Hugs

T

8:40 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home