La Gata Encantada

La Gata Encantada is the name of a pub in a novel by John Varley. It means 'the enchanted cat'. I like cats, so I stole the sign (it just needed some revarnishing and - Look! Good as new!). The door is open, to an amber glow and the sound of music and good fellowship. Come on in.

Name:

Pure as a virgin and cunning as a rabbit!

Sunday, August 07, 2005

Healthy Eating, Clean Liver

I've been very tired, lately.

The really good thing to do here, as well as sleep and more fruit and veg, is to eat liver. It's got all sorts of good things in it and I always feel better after getting it down. There are two main problems for me with eating liver, though. The first is that I don't actually enjoy the process: it has an odd, grainy texture, and it tastes funny, and as a child I was trained to avoid offal. The second is that I'm not sure which restaurants in my home city will actually cook and sell the stuff.

The solution is obvious: cook it myself. So, laden with a dollar-fifty slice of the internal organ of an ox, an eight-fifty packet of bacon, and some mushrooms, I hied me home to have a go, with the aid of The Joy of Cooking (1975, 13th Ed.), a tome of approximately the same size and fascination as Brewer's.

There are some general rules for any new recipe:
- Clean up the kitchen as you go.
- Throw enough onions, garlic, potato, and beef-stock in and almost anything will taste okay.
- Follow the recipe as closely as you can in quantities and ingredients.
I had problems with the last - I howled when I realised that there was only one small onion left to dice and, no matter how hard I looked, I didn't actually have half a cup of bacon lard to cook with, alas. I made do with slices of bacon, trimmed of the fat, and cooking oil.

Now, the cool thing about The Joy of Cooking is that it doesn't just give a recipe, it has instructions on different kinds of foods and the special things that you should do with them. For example, I found out that I should wipe my liver with a damp cloth, peel off the grey membrane that ran around my slice like a cheese-rind, and soak it in milk for several hours. This last was discovered at six in the evening and meant that I started my serious cooking at nine.

At that point, I was reading all about 'dredging' the meat with Seasoned Flour - you throw flour, paprika, nutmeg, salt, pepper and the sliced meat into a plastic baggy, hang tight to the neck of the bag, and shake the whole thing liberally. The Joy of Cooking has two ribbon bookmarks, by the way, which were very useful at this point, what with turning back and forth for instructions.

Then I was 'braising' my liver, which means browning it in a pan and then adding hot beef-stock and the other ingredients to half boil and half fry for a quarter hour. My final result involved ox-liver, bacon, onion, garlic, potato, beef-stock, chicken-stock, and a bit of white wine that a long-vanished dinner guest brought in. I'd forgotten the mushrooms.

Now, my flatmate Michael (David was out) had politely but very, very firmly declined to partake of my repast. I'd tried to keep him involved in the experience by describing the membrane peeling, and the washing off of the blood, and the mysterious holes in the meat that I really hoped were left by arteries, but he wasn't having any. This meant that I ended with a bowlful of browny-greyey-blacky things that somehow smelt delicious, and only me to eat it. It was very good - the sauce and other bits were flavourful, the taste and texture of the liver not too intrusive. I went to bed with a comfortable, warm weight in my tummy and, while I still didn't sleep well, I didn't wake up still exhausted either. I had the rest for lunch today, with butter-fried mushrooms added in, and it was very tasty then, too.

I'm glad I went through the whole thing.

Now, The Joy of Cooking also has recipes for Brains (p. 504). Ha ha! Night of the Living Cook, coming soon ...

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heh - y'know - I just tend to wash it, fry up some garlic and onion, add the liver and cook. Which recipe, incidentally, works just as well with chicken liver as it does with sheep, ox or cow (and chicken livers have a much smoother, richer texture). If there's wine handy, I'll add that as well, but no big if there isn't.

The whole peeling and soaking in milk thing? Interesting. T'raif as all hell (snork - like the lack of being kosher bothers me!), but interesting.

Oh - I should mention - I'm congenitally unable to follow a recipe for *anything*. But it does make for some interesting cooking...

Hugs

T

6:12 am  
Blogger Stephanie said...

You make that sound utterly revolting. And with *mushrooms* too. Go see a doctor and get your iron count checked.

Love

Steph

9:01 am  
Blogger theamazingcatherine said...

Thanks for the alternate recipe. Er, what does "T'raif" mean?

**

"You make that sound utterly revolting."

Good. I was trying to, and I'm glad that my stylistic efforts were successful.

I feel much better now, and the next day could even bring myself to

a) fold the enormous pile of laundry sitting in the middle of my floor

b) change my bedsheets

c) clear out under the bed and

d) sweep the floor

I'm still not sleeping wonderfully, but the absence of a large quantity of dust seems to be helping a lot.

Except I'm still not very bouncy in the early mornings, so in Poetry class today (in the morning) I sat there with a 'thoughtful' face from my point of view and a 'steadily getting grumpier' face from the lecturer's point of view. I think I was worrying him. But then we had a break and I got some coffee and got my bounce back to a satisfactory level. I'd thought I'd been talking too much in class, but apparently he enjoys it, so what-have-you.

12:17 pm  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I kind of worry that I'm talking too much in tutorials and not letting other people get a word in edgeways. Except every now and then I make a point of shutting up for a question and there's usually a dead silence for a couple of minutes. And I'm the only person that posts on my Classical Traditions discussion group, which I now know the lecturer knows about because at the last lecture he said "Hey guys, remember that there _is_ a discussion group, which only one lone brave person is contributing to regularly." I'm not sure if being called brave is a compliment or not.

5:18 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

T'raif is what we yiddishe folk call food that's unkosher. In this case, it's not kosher because it's mixing meat and milk (let's just ignore for a moment that if it's not from an animal that's been slaughtered in the ritually approved way, with the ritually approved rabbinic blessing, it's not technically kosher meat anyway).

Bet your life was totally incomplete before you knew that...

5:19 pm  
Blogger theamazingcatherine said...

Aaah, I see. I thought that was just for pork - "Suckling pig seethed in its mother's milk" sort of thing.

Life is a process of learning!

My recipe said I could soak it in marinade, too.

5:43 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Throw everything together and pray.

Irish cooking method. Not irish cuisine (Boil it til you can drink it through a straw).

And if the gods are merciful... it usually ends up quite good.

Note - having a good friend in the Kitchen also helps as one can carefully siphon off all their luck to improvbe the cooking. Of course if they are trying to cook at the same time... then things are going to get interesting (inm a broken/burned/mushy rice) kind of way.

Good to hear it worked out though!

*warm fuzzies*

Alan

7:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home