La Gata Encantada

La Gata Encantada is the name of a pub in a novel by John Varley. It means 'the enchanted cat'. I like cats, so I stole the sign (it just needed some revarnishing and - Look! Good as new!). The door is open, to an amber glow and the sound of music and good fellowship. Come on in.

Name:

Pure as a virgin and cunning as a rabbit!

Monday, August 07, 2006

Trip to Wellington (In the Rain)

So a volunteer organisation that I belong to (the ESOL Home Tutor Group) needed to send someone to the annual conference today and the Chair couldn't go. Neither could a whole lot of other people. I, the n00b committee member was picked to go instead, with Lorraine Vincent the co-ordinator. I'm not sure how much of the content of the conference was supposed to be confidential, so I'll keep mum on the meat of the trip, and discuss merely the spices and other flavours.

I lost my breakfast on the way there. Lorraine, who was driving herself, me, and her daughter there was rather concerned to see me retching on the soggy grass by the high-way. Little does she know how easily I can vomit on cross-country trips... Alas, when we got to the conference centre/motel, I realised to my horror that lunch wasn't until half past one. This isn't too bad, unless you've been up since twenty past six and lost every scrap of nutrient you imbibed at that time. Also, the place didn't have any of those chocolate bar/chippy machines, and the dairy was too far away to get to before it started. I mainlined coffee for the milk and sugar, and inhaled muffins when they came my way.

It was a good morning - I got to ask intelligent questions, make insightful suggestions, and take notes industriously. Everyone there was very friendly, and I felt that we were there doing something useful instead of just marking time.

At lunchtime, the food was terribly sweet, with odd sprinklings of curry powder - enough to mask the natural flavours of the other ingredients, but not enough to be interesting in itself. I've been complaining about that wretched food ad nauseam ever since... Still, I took twenty minutes of free time and dashed into the wet, wild, and woolly Botanical Gardens, just across the road. There's a Giant Ear Trumpet on top of one of the hills! I'm not kidding, it isn't just a giant funnel standing there artistically - the thing (the narrow end was wide enough I could stand inside comfortably) was mounted on swivels so that you could aim it at different areas of the sky!

After lunch a guest speaker squeezed a week's management seminar into one and a half hours. It was utterly fascinating; I learned some things.

Then we went home. I didn't lose my lunch on the way back.

The End.

5 Comments:

Blogger Repton said...

My mum once, before I went on a long distance bus trip, bought me some wrist bands. The idea is that each wrist band has a little plastic dome at one point, and you wear them so that the dome is applying pressure to a particular point of your wrist (in between the two tendons on the inside). This apparantly prevents nausea.

I dutifully wore them and I didn't get sick, so maybe they worked, or maybe it was just the placebo effect. But the placebo effect is real enough anyway :-)

I may still have them... I saw them in a clean out just recently, but I don't remember if I decided "Keep", or if I decided "Begone, primitive concept-on-a-crutch".

9:19 pm  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Cat used to wear wrist bands like that when we were kids, although I can't remember if they actually worked or not.
I think our worst trip was coming back from some isolated beach, on a windy road, in a two door car, in the dark. I think we had to stop so that someone could vomit about 5 times, and what would you know, it was also the person in the back seat. Actually, since throwing up meant that you got switched to the front seat, maybe there was some point to that.

Sorry, Cat, I forgot that this was the day you were coming to Wgtn.

10:54 am  
Blogger theamazingcatherine said...

It's okay - I figured you'd be too busy and such.

I actually still have my acupressure wristbands, but forgot all about taking them with me.

And I was in the back seat on the way there.

1:01 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, this is Lizt, just learning how to leave a message - being not of the technoligical generation

6:46 pm  
Blogger theamazingcatherine said...

Don't you use a computer every day?

And you do it wonderfully, too!

10:56 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home