La Gata Encantada

La Gata Encantada is the name of a pub in a novel by John Varley. It means 'the enchanted cat'. I like cats, so I stole the sign (it just needed some revarnishing and - Look! Good as new!). The door is open, to an amber glow and the sound of music and good fellowship. Come on in.

Name:

Pure as a virgin and cunning as a rabbit!

Saturday, September 03, 2005

By Request

All Cats Are Grey

In the dark the grey iron knot
that is your hair loosens, tumbles,
releases pins to my fingering hands.
In the dark the grey tweed armour
that is your coat sits stolid on its hanger,
and your grey cashmere shell lies,
resting, in the place I laid it.
Your harsh voice purrs.
In the dark the candle's fragile light touches,
gently, all the tight-strung bones of you, reveals,
tenderly, all your own tenderness.
You are beautiful in the dark.
In the dark you can love me.

Spring

The harsh wood opens
surprised, white-petal eyes, flutters,
to the wind, light red-leaf lashes, weeps,
if it will, soft rain-drop tears.

A hidden blackbird flings,
up and out, its laughing songs and daisies scatter,
sunlike, bright heads across the lawn.

And soon I will go,
to a place of cut stone where I will help them plant,
quietly, a box from which rises
nothing at all.

After reading these, you've probably noticed a consistent funniness about the line-breaks and verbs. In the second Colours poem, I was bunging the line-breaks so the lines generally started with a verb, because I had to put them somewhere. It gave an interesting effect, and I've been playing with them some more.

7 Comments:

Blogger theamazingcatherine said...

Anti-spam word verification now ON.

6:11 pm  
Blogger Stephanie said...

How do you set anti-spam? By the way, when I got one of those fake messages I had to do something with the cache in order to get the 'Delete' icon showing up for the rubbish post. (Maybe empty the cache? I can't remember exactly, but it was in the Help file.)

10:24 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Go to the Settings section of the back-end, and then to the Comments tab. Near the bottom of the page you should see an option called 'Turn Word Verification On.' I dunno how to delete comments, though. Quid pro quo?

(Cat)

10:48 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Remember to Save your Settings.

(Cat)

10:50 pm  
Blogger theamazingcatherine said...

And not word about whether you liked the poems or not. [Rolls eyes] I dunno, some sisters ...

10:52 pm  
Blogger Stephanie said...

I already said that I liked the poems. Didn't I say that? I thought that "By Request" was a fairly good indication of liking. Anyhow, the "All Cats Are Grey" poem is the one I like best of the ones you've been posting. It was turning around in my head when I was going to sleep which only happens with really good poetry.

Steph

12:39 pm  
Blogger theamazingcatherine said...

(I was joking.) I'm glad that you liked it - always a good sign when they won't fall out of someone's head.

3:14 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home